Thursday, July 8, 2010

Smell

Long story short, I went three weeks in India without my luggage. My bag got held up in customs in Mumbai. Last weekend I flew to Hyderabad (and there’s another long story) to - at last! - retrieve my bag. When I got back to Vizag I dumped the contents of the bag, a big read hiking pack, on my bed. The first thing I noticed was the smell. My smell. Things are things, and I never wanted for clothes or books or soap. But when I smelled my stuff, I realized what I had been missing. Some part of my sense of self is bound up in these things, and to wash my face with my soap, and to put my lotion on my hands was to wrap my self in the familiar. Smelling those things brought back to me little pieces of who I was, which is a great comfort being so far away from so many of the places, people and things which make me who I am.

Whenever I smell fish, fresh fish, I remember Viet Nam and the parts of me that were made there. I wonder what bits of me are being made here, and what smells will help to carry them with me.

4 comments:

  1. Squeeze me and I'll ooze good wishes all over you. I like this entry, MM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I had no idea that you were in India! I love that country! Congratulations on retrieving your "simple" things that bring you some comfort. How long are you staying? I wish to know more. Josh and I were in Tamil Nadu for 4 months, and northern India for 3 weeks. But that was 10 years ago and I know so much has changed.

    Your post about things bringing you comfort is super interesting- I've been wrestling with all the things and stuff here in Wyoming that have been around for generations. I'm discovering that losing any of these things for those that own them is a loss greater than an object. And that mirrors me when I haven't even realized it- even with the monster moving truck we brought full of stuff.

    So happy to know you have a blog! Will look forward to following your adventure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops... this last comment was from Sarah Smith, your ol' pal at growing hope... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, oh Sarah. Of course it's you. Hello my dear! I'll send you a proper email about India right quick. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete